Thursday, December 23, 2004

Celebrating Christmas...

It was kindly pointed out to me that I haven't blogged since last Thursday. I was bemoaning the fact that I might have to go without reading any family blogs because they are celebrating Christmas all together. Never mind that I was sick for nearly three weeks and then had to get "caught up" in one week. ;)

My old boss, Dr. McC, called me last week and asked (begged) me to come in and work today since the gal who replaced me would be gone. Of course, I jumped at the chance. I was hoping to see some of my favorite patients but he only had two this morning. One new patient and one "new" to me. The majority of my day was finishing two Independent Medical Evaluations (IME) for the good doctor. I am always fascinated by how the good Lord created our minds. They are so resilient and strong, yet on the otherhand, so sensitive and fragile. I love typing up his reports, it was the favorite part of my job.

Jim had to put on a new faucet in the kitchen this morning. I was so surprised when I called around 11 am to check on Nana and he answered her phone. He had dreaded having to get underneath the sink in that cramped area but on closer inspection he found that the whole "face" which the doors are on actually comes off and he was able to take that off and have loads of room. Why he had never seen that before he doesn't know but was so grateful that he noticed this morning. And, an added bonus is that this faucet is sooooo easy to work Nana has absolutely no trouble turning on the water. Yea! It was like an early Christmas present!

We are having a young marred couple over for Christmas Eve dinner. Matt is recently returned from a year in Iraq. Heather's parents are spending Christmas with her brother and his wife up in Oregon. And with James not coming home Jim and I thought it would be great to have someone share Christmas Eve with us. I'm looking forward to having the time with them and getting to know Matt better. He is such a nice person and they make such a cute couple! :)

James is planning on attending the Christmas Eve service at the Chapel on base. There is a big dinner on base too so he will get to eat "real" food. The Chapel is having a pot luck dinner on Sunday after church which he is planning on attending. I think that is one of the things that bothers me the most...his not getting home cooked meals enough. He has received our big box with all his presents and his miniature Christmas tree all flocked and decked out in mini lights. Our church sent large stockings to each of the men who are serving in the military filled with lots of different things. James thought he should get some butcher paper and a black magic marker and draw a fireplace on it and stick it on his wall. That way he could hang his stocking on the fireplace and set his Christmas tree next to it with his presents spread around it! :)

Well, as Christmas draws near I pray that we slow down and really reflect about what Christmas is truly all about. It really isn't about Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings even though those things are nice. Christmas is all about God stepping into the world so that we could have the opportunity to reconcile with Him. Without Christ there wouldn't be any Christmas and we would still be wallowing in our sin with no hope for eternity. God's gift is the best gift of all because it is something that we can never lose once we have it. It is free for the taking yet it was so costly for God. May we never take it for granted but celebrate Christmas every day. May we stand in awe and marvel at His incarnation. Celebrate the baby and trust the Savior. That's how to make Christmas complete!

1 comment:

Bob and Claire said...

I'm glad to see that James has it all planned out! I'm sure this will be a memorable Christmas for him, and for you all too. I would be interested in hearing Matt's thoughts on Iraq. I wonder what experiences he had? Have a great dinner!