Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Feeling Better...

Finally!! I am feeling better. The cough still lingers and some asthma still is a little bit bothersome but the stamina and strength are beginning to return. There's nothing quite like the "gambooey," to share with one and all. However, during this time of "forced" convalescence it brought back a few memories.

I was chomping at the bit to finish my list of "to do's" but since I had neither strength, energy, or breath to do anything, I just vegged. That led in turn to thinking back.....Two and half years ago I suffered two minor strokes (personally, I cannot fathom a major stroke!!) in the same month. My world was turned upside down. One of the consequences of having a problem along these lines is that one cannot drive for at least 90 days. As most of you know, my life is a very busy one, not with just my and Jim's schedule but also Nana's appointments, ministry, socializing etc. My world came to a screeching halt other than doctor appointments and physical and occupational therapy. All of which had to be worked in to when Jim could drive me or a friend was available.

I would have never asked for any of it to happen to me but one thing came out of that time which was so very precious to me and that was a ton of "extra" time with the Lord. What I chaffed so hard against at the beginning, when my wings were clipped, became my most dear and precious commodity...time spent with my Lord. People would ask what was happening in my life and really there was nothing....yet everything. But, how do you share something so close, so priceless? Things slowed down so much that I dreaded resuming my fast paced life. I always wanted to have this slower pace, less filled with "things", more focused on Him.

No matter how much one wants to keep Him first and foremost, our hectic lives can very easily cause us not to focus on Him. These past two weeks I had a reminder of a much slower, gentler time and found my soul craving it, as if I had been in a desert. That spoke volumes to me. There is an old poem that I came across many years ago after I came to know the Lord. It is written by Alice Hansche Mortenson and is called I Needed the Quiet. Enjoy!

I needed the quiet so He drew me aside.
Into the shadows where we could confide.
Away from the bustle where all the day long
I hurried and worried when active and strong.

I needed the quiet tho at first I rebelled
But gently, so gently, my cross He upheld
And whispered so sweetly of spiritual things
Tho weakened in body, my spirit took wings
To heights never dreamed of when active and gay.
He loved me so greatly He drew me away.

I needed the quiet. No prison my bed,
But a beautiful valley of blessings instead--
A place to grow richer in Jesus to hide.
I needed the quiet so He drew me aside.

1 comment:

Bob and Claire said...

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! I loved that poem you quoted. I always think that I want to remember to really focus on the Lord BEFORE I get too busy, and he has to do something drastic to get my attention again, but somehow I always forget again! Busyness is such a suble thing--it just creeps up on me. Wow, I can't believe it's been 2 years since your strokes. God is faithful.