Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Yea!!!

Today was a great day! I saw my doctor and he recommended a conservative approach for my knee. I do have the cyst, which I was able to see with my own eyes, along with arthritis, bone spurs, a partially torn meniscus and some cartilage that is 'catching' on something, probably aggravated by the fact that I still have fluid in and around parts of the knee. The next step is to scope the knee but he thinks that it will continue to settle down and we may not have to do that for quite some time. I'll go back in 2 months and we will re-evaluate the situation at that time. Obviously, if I am still 'gimping' around and am not much better then that is what he will do. Since I am not having to have it done right now, my goal is to put it off until some time after the first of the year, if not much longer than that. After all, I have a Pilot receiving his wings sometime in December which will require a trip!

Back to the knee....he said that they wouldn't remove the bone spurs at all. When they do that a person's knees get much worse. They also won't remove the cyst. It will just kind of come and go, depending on if I flare up my knee. Certain exercises are out and others are in. *Big sigh* So, for now, I continue to baby it, keeping it elevated when I am not on it and taking time to ice it so the rest of the fluid will hopefully dissipate. I was pleased overall...I just didn't want some 'surgery hungry' guy telling me that I needed surgery. I like his approach and I'm comfortable about the 'wait and see' approach.

No comments: