Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Prayer of the Saints....



Revelation 5:8, "When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints."

Our prayers do not die. We die, at least our lips are closed in death and our heart which had felt those prayers ceases to beat. But our prayers live before almighty God and His heart is set on them. E. M. Bounds said, "Prayers outlive the lives of those who uttered them...outlive a generation, outlive an age, outlive a world."

God shapes the world by prayer. The more we pray the more we can impact the evil forces in the world today. I've heard it said that prayer is a disinfectant and a preventive. It purifies the air and and destroys the contagion of evil.

There is one condition regarding prayer. That is we need to ask God. The Lord desires a praying people who are willing and obedient.

"I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord...Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, and the very ends of the earth as Your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron, You shall shatter them like earthenware" (Psalm 2:7-9, emphasis added).

Our prayers strengthen the next generation. It is a sad day when one finds his "coffers" empty of the incense of prayer. If we have been too busy to pray or too unbelieving to pray, think of the consequences of leaving an empty heritage. Hopefully, we as parents have indeed left a rich legacy of prayer for our children for they will then not only be fortunate but wealthy besides.

2 comments:

HeyJules said...

This is something I find myself tripping over all the time now. Coming into Christianity with such a sudden "thud", I almost have to mentally remind myself that I haven't uttered a prayer in days. Finding what will work to form this habit has been hit or miss so far.

But, I am now to the point where once I fall asleep, if the day has not been wrapped around prayer, I will awaken shortly after sleep comes and almost always realize I am awake because I forgot to thank God for my day.

The thought that my prayers live past the length of my life is so beautiful. Thank you for that thought today.

Dave. said...

"AMEN" to all that.