Thursday, December 01, 2005

Simple things...

There are many days when I struggle with doing the repetitive chores that occur when keeping a home. There are days when I seem to struggle with the lack of prayer time. Or I don't get to read in my Bible as I much as I would like. I'd rather spend hours getting lost in the Word than dusting etc.

I have always seemed to spend a lot of time in my car. In the past, before James had his drivers license, I spent time on the freeway taking him to and from Christian school. The time spent in the car after I dropped him off was such a great time of communicating with the Lord. Over the years I have come to see my more "mundane" tasks like dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, etc as a perfect time to accomplish the chore but at the same time spend time with the Lord. Not only does it take my focus off of me and direct it back to whom it should be on, but it allows me to thoroughly work through any issue I may be struggling with. Or, it may be a time for praying.

Ironing is one of my favorite prayer activities. As I iron my husband's shirts I pray over his sleeves (arms and hands). Of course, there are his shoulders and back and I cover those. He needs strong shoulders because he is carrying the responsibility for our home. His hands reach out in friendship as well as needed strength to help someone in need. The collar represents his mind and all that he allows to penetrate. There is so much garbage out there that fights to keep the things of God from influencing him.

Truly, my daily chores are blessings. I watch my momma as she struggles to use her hands. They can no longer open a baggie and it is very difficult for her to pick up things off the floor. She would love to be able to do simple tasks again. Sometimes I guess we don't really understand the joy of being able to accomplish things until they are taken away from us.

May I never take for granted the smallest blessing. I pray that the Lord would open my eyes so I may see daily all that He pours out upon me. Not just those big blessings that one can't help but notice, but also the small ones, the snow gently falling, a mother's smile, a growing plant, a friend's voice, the ability to type, eyes to notice.

"And I will make them and the places round about my hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in his season; there shall be showers of blessings" (Ezekiel 34:26).

14 comments:

Leslee said...

Thanks for pointing out that even the smallest of daily tasks is perfect for prayer!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a great post. I would have never thought of praying for someone over their clothes like that...of course I only do my own ironing since I'm not married, but it's something to remember for the future.

Melissa said...

Claire...you humble me! I feel that the one thing I'm going to learn from you, beyond your caring and loving spirit and gentle passion, it the art of prayer...the simply breath that reaches the throne room of the most high and pierces His very heart...I delight in how you pray for your husband, and often times I think I don't have enough time in my day to pray...He tells us to continually pray...it is truly and art form and I am blessed that you share it with us continually...I NEED IT! I could go on but I will stop!

Unknown said...

Claire, What an inspiring and amazing post. I am going to copy it and send it to my Mom. Thanks for sharing. Pam

HeyJules said...

Claire, I LOVE to iron too for that same reason but I have never heard of ironing the way that you do. That was the most amazing thing I've ever heard of! When I go to iron the next time I'm gonna pray all over those cotton pants!!!

jettybetty said...

Thanks for some very encouraging thoughts--so much of the time, I take the little things for granted--and I should not!

Anonymous said...

you are right. i am scared because my grandmother was diagnosed with alzheimers 10 years ago, and i think it is genetic, so i want to enjoy life right now to the fullest. but there is so much stuff that gets in the way of enjoyment. hmm what to do.

Bobbie said...

Thank you for sharing the ironing prayer. I HATE to iron, but now I have a reason to enjoy it. Thanks:)

Pilot Mom said...

Well, for those of you not married you can pray for your parents, siblings, boyfriend/girlfriend, friends in general. You can pray for anyone the Lord lays on your heart. You can pray that the inner [person] would be strengthened for what lies ahead of them, or that they would reach out with hands of kindness...etc. I think you get the picture. :)

Melissa, you're making me blush!! I'm glad I shared something you could use. In fact, I was struggling about what to share and was going to go in a totally different direction but the Lord had other ideas! :) I'm glad He did.

Pam, I hope your Mom likes it. Tell her to drop in sometime. I would love to "meet" her. ;)

Jules, try it...I bet you'll like it! As you probably remember, I always pray when I'm cooking. I pray for the gal and her family of the recipe I'm preparing that day.

Ask the Lord to show you opportunities. Trust me, He will! And, if you haven't noticed an opportunity ask Him to show you some of your missed opportunities...He'll do that too! :)

Susie, my best friend who is also my prayer partner, lost her young mother to Alzhimers. It is genetic but if you know the Lord, personally, then you have no reason to fear. If you desire to know more then email me at devore24@aol.com {{{hugs}}} I'm sorry about your grandmother.

Bobbie, thanks for dropping in! I hope you'll take time to fill out my "Frapper Map" located on my side bar. :) I'm excited to get to know!

Suz, well, by now, you probably know that I don't believe in coincidences but I do believe in God-incidences. If ever you desire to email me please feel free to do so. :)

Leslee and JB, it's just a matter of having the right perspective, isn't it? It's so easy to focus on *me* when in reality we need to be focused on Him! We are to do ALL to His glory. I think that includes sweeping or dusting or....the list is endless.

Thank you all for taking time to comment! :)

Corry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Corry said...

Oops sorry for that. I messed up the link and had to renew it.

Great post, Claire and an encouragement for more praying:-)

Sorry to read about your Mom. There are several aids and gadgets she might be able to use. Here is a link to find them. It is also listed in my sidebar under Arthritis Gadgets.

God's Grace.

Anonymous said...

Oh Claire, you are so inspiring, and so right on. I'll never iron the same again.

Jackie said...

Wow Claire!
That was absolutely beautiful (I had to read it twice). You really remind me of the women in the Bible that God uses as examples for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Late to the party. Claire, that was so uplifting! What a wonderful new way of looking at things!