Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Oops!

I've been trying to get a few things prepared and in the freezer before my sister arrives, as well as, fix a meal to take to our worship leader who is recovering from a triple bone break in his knee and leg. *ouch* They don't eat sweets, but they do have a high school son, who is taking full opportunity of this mishap and is requesting desserts! So, I fixed my great Chicken Casserole which has French style green beans and long grain and wild rice in it. Together with a green salad and cookies it should do just great.

The problem is that I didn't have much sleep last night, and my allergies have been bothering me so I have just felt pretty crummy this morning. My attitude is alright...I haven't minded fixing the meal for the family but my mind just isn't all there. Now, my husband and son will testify that when my mind isn't all there, problems can arise. One time, over 10 years ago, I made chocolate chip cookies and they turned out hard as bricks. My family could not remember when something I had made hadn't turned out. So, a big deal was made of it. I could not fathom what I had done wrong. My husband, trying to be helpful started listing ingredients...did you remember to add the flour...the sugar...etc...the eggs... The Eggs! I flew to my refrigerator, because I knew that I only had two eggs in the house...and sure enough...those two eggs were still sitting in the refrig! Now we know what keeps cookies soft and edible...eggs! :)

Well, today I'm mixing up chocolate chip cookies again. I've mixed the butter and sugar mixture and I've added the flour mixture and the chips. I begin spooning the dough onto my cookie sheet. Hmmm. Sure seems to be runny...not thick at all...oh well, it tastes okay... all these thoughts run through my foggy mind. Into the oven they go. I no sooner turn around and look on my countertop and see the bowl with the other half of the flour mixture!! Oh no! I hurridly dump the flour into the remaining batter...Wait...I grab the pot holder, open the oven and look at the cookies beginning to bake...Make executive decision....grab the cookie sheet out of the oven and take my spatula and scrape the soft gooey mess back into my bowl. I hurriedly (as if that is really going to make a difference...) remix everything and again spoon out onto the cookie sheet. So my batter was a combination of partially baked cookie dough and uncooked cookie dough. I have finished baking them and they have turned out okay...at least they are edible. And, they don't look too bad either!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been a busy lady! :)

I cannot make a good choc chip cookie (or oatmeal for that matter) to save my life!! It's so frustrating. They always turn hard.

Hope all goes well with your sister's visit. When is she coming?

Pilot Mom said...

Gayla, she is due in this Tuesday, the 3rd! :) Can you just see my beaming smile? I hope so!

G~ said...

very busy! SOOOO glad the cookies turned out! I've done similar things, too. *sigh* However, I'm not a big cook, so when I do something really bad, it gets remembered for a LONG time!

I CAN cook, just don't like to very much and often, just simply don't have the energy. :\

Have a great visit with your family!

~hugs~

Andrea said...

Like Sparrow, I had a good chuckle at your story. I did that once with a cake I'd put in the oven. Rory reacted negatively to the batter he was licking off the spoon. I'd forgotten the sugar. I guess we all have those times. :-)

Les and Kimberly said...

hahaha, I loved the story! Definitly made my day. I'm sorry it took me forever to visit. It's been a busy week.
Your chicken casserole sounds good, can I have the recipe?
Have a great day!

Pilot Mom said...

Kimberly, I will gladly give you the recipe for the casserole! :)

Les and Kimberly said...

GREAT, I can't wait to get it. Thank you!