Friday, April 21, 2006

A Physician Analyzes the Crucifixion....

I know Easter is over but I was visiting Gina over at Refreshment in Refuge and found an excellent article that she had posted on 04/13/06. I've copied and pasted just the very beginning of the article here but I hope you will go drop in at her place (just click on Refreshment in Refuge above, and then, scroll down to her entry for April 13, 2006)) and read the rest of the article.

Our pastor preached on this same topic a number of years ago. I would hazard a guess that there are not many people who truly understand what He went through during the last hours of His life. Go. Read it. Come back and tell me what you think.

A Physician Analyzes the Crucifixion

(Originally published in Arizona Medicine, March 1965, Arizona Medical Association. A medical explanation of what Jesus endured on the day He died.)

By Dr. C. Truman Davis

Dr. C. Truman Davis is a graduate of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine. He is a practicing ophthalmologist, a pastor, and author of a book about medicine and the Bible.

Several years ago I became interested in the physical aspects of the passion, or suffering, of Jesus Christ when I read an account of the crucifixion in Jim Bishop’s book, The Day Christ Died. I suddenly realized that I had taken the crucifixion more or less for granted all these years - that I had grown callous to its horror by a too-easy familiarity with the grim details...

1 comment:

HeyJules said...

I started to read this the Saturday after Good Friday and just couldn't...after all I had seen and done I just couldn't add more pain on top of it.

I did, however, go back on Sunday after the joyous church service and read it and it only deepened the love I have for Jesus. I just simply can not comprehend how one gets through something so insanely hideous as that without God by their side holding their withering spirit up. To me, it is the final proof that He was no ordinary man, but Christ himself.