Monday, November 08, 2004

Icing on Cakes Makes Me Think...

Icing on cakes makes me think of birthdays. Not only has Caleb just had his 3rd one but my friend's daughter, Heather, has just had one as of November 1. Then, my friend, Carolyn, (Heather's mom) just turned 50 yesterday. This is truly a momentous occasion because it marks the day when she and I are once again in the same decade. Over the course of years that we have been dear friends, she has often teased me about my being so much older. I like to think of us as bookends since my birthday is in January and hers follows in November. We have had many funny laughs about our ages. And I think that is a good thing. I am sure that the Lord brought her into my life for that very purpose...to keep me laughing about my age!

There was a period of time in my life when age was a very BIG stresser. Do you remember when one is young and we lived for the day we would be a teenager? Then the next milestone was 16, so one could drive. That was followed by wanting to be 18 and ready for college and voting privileges. After 18 the next big milestone was to be 21, the "magical" age for being considered an adult. Now, for me at that time, 22 was the best birthday because you were past the 21 thing but that meant that my 23rd birthday was very traumatic for me. In my mind's eye I just saw everything going downhill from there. I know, I know...most people get upset with the thought of turning 30 or 40 or maybe even 50, but not me! Twenty-three was the downer for me.

Now, besides the Lord blessing me with a very good friend who helps me laugh at myself, He also blessed me with a very dear, precious sister. This is my sister whom I teased about turning "a quarter of a century" when I was only 16 years old but who was so gracious as not to turn around and reciprocate when I turned "a quarter of a century!" She knew it bothered me (to turn 23) and went out of her way to help me through it. Besides suggesting I begin counting my spiritual birthdays (which is TONS more satisfying!) Marsha gave me a small book, chalk full of wonderful wisdom titled "So Who's Afraid of Birthdays" by Ann Mow. I came away from reading that little book realizing that LIFE is more exciting and fulfilling than ever! So birthdays don't count. It is life that counts!

So, with Carolyn's birthday just passing and mine coming around the corner again, it's a good time to reflect on where the good Lord has me now. Life is life at any age. So why should I be afraid of birthdays or the passing of the years? If I'm still learning, still growing, my relationship with the Lord is still deepening, then I can truly say, "Why, the best is still to come!" I love you, Marsha! :)

No comments: