Friday, November 19, 2004

The New Stamp...

I'm sorry but this makes my blood boil! Has anyone seen the new "holiday" stamp that is out? Check this out: http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productDetail.jsp?OID=2689760. (Sorry, it's so long but I still haven't had time to call Claire and see how to shorten it.) It's a muslim stamp for the holidays! Why should our country print a muslim stamp for a Christian holiday? A holiday celebrating the birth of Christ who they do not believe is God!!! And, can anyone tell me what EID means? It is located in the upper left corner. As for the "design" I would think it actually stands for something, am I correct? What holiday are they celebrating at this time of year? Thanks for any info you can pass on to me.



1 comment:

Bob and Claire said...

Well, I'm pretty sure Eid is the feast that Muslims have to celebrate the end of Ramadan, their month of fasting during daylight hours. It's dependent on a certain phase of the moon, so it changes yearly, but it's usually around the wintertime. On a related note, we heard a funny rendition of the "Have a holly,jolly Christmas" song--it's "Happy Rama-Hanna-Kwanz-mas; it's the best time of the year . . ." it goes on about how we hope we "don't offend nobody this year". Unfortunately, it's all too true. I would say the Post Office just doesn't want their Muslim people to not have an opportunity to buy a stamp celebrating a holiday of theirs, since there happens to be one not too far off from Christmas this year. I don't think the Muslims would say the stamp has anything to do with Christmas though.