Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Whom do you run to?

Where do you run for your help? What is your first instinct when you find yourself in trouble? Why do we run to man before we ever run to God?

What is the problem? Do we just want to run away from God, fearful of what He will tell us? Why don't we run to the arms of our all-sufficient God? My suspicion is that a lot of people out there don't really know Him. Admit it. We often see many people, who are Christians, collaspe in time of trouble or of times of testing. Why is it they become immoblized rather than standing aggressively in the face of fear? Maybe it's because Christians, for the most part, can't boast in the name of their God.

What does it mean to boast in? It means to have confidence in, to trust in. So to boast in God's name means to have confidence in His name.

If you don't know the Lord and His many different Names then I would encourage you to seek Him out and find out just Who this is. You might be surprised. Each of the Lord's Names has meaning and purpose. You will certainly learn where to run in time of need. The Father longs to have us know Him better so that we may "trust in the name of the Lord and rely" on our God (Isaiah 50:10). It was Christ's desire that "they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent" (John 17:3). It was also Paul's goal in life, "That I may know Him" (Philippians 3:10). Oh how I pray that it would become your goal in life, too!!

Here's some food for thought; a question to get you started...if someone were to ask you to describe God, how would you do it?

3 comments:

Corry said...

The most loving, caring, everpresent Father one could ever have :-)

God's Grace.

HeyJules said...

Amen to that! We were just talking last night at mid-week church how so many Christians don't seek a personal relationship with God. They just assume He's too far beyond them to be able to have an intimate, personal relationship with Him!

I must admit...it alluded me for years but now I know differently.

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, right off the bat, I think of "Father" as well. I'm sure it is because I have such a great earthly father, and such a good relationship with him, that it is easy for me to think of my Heavenly Father in those terms.