Friday, February 10, 2006

The Sovereignty of our Supreme God

One Bible verse which gives me some of the greatest security is found in Job 42:2 "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." What security this is when I remember that God's purposes are designed by One whose nature is love.

I have days where I totally mess up. I make mistakes, I blunder along making mess after mess. Throughout it all, disorder is created, chaos seems to reign supreme, sadness can creep in, and suffering begins to surface as I recognize how far off from God's instructions I am concerning how life is to be lived. Yet He who is in control over all things tells me that, "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called to His purpose" Romans 8:28. He is supreme and sovereignly in control over everything...the crooked and the straight of life.
"Consider the work of God, for who is able to straighten what He has bent? In the day of prosperity be happy, but in the day of adversity consider---God has made the one as well as the other so that man will not discover anything that will be after him" Ecclesiastes 7:13-14.

So when we despairingly think, "O Lord, bless this mess," He already has! He has worked even our mistakes into His plans for good! I firmly believe that a growing awareness of the sovereignty of God leads to a true stability in life and develops a gentle and quiet spirit within our hearts, which in God's sight is very precious.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!!!

2 comments:

Corry said...

Claire, I love that last paragraph. That's so well stated and in my opinion so true.

Have a blessed weekend.

God's Grace.

HeyJules said...

I'm with Corry on this one. That last paragraph is the ball game, isn't it?

One of my "God is so sovereign" moments happened when I first got Gracie. She has that curved spine thing and couldn't walk very fast when we'd go out. She'd get tired and I'd have to pick her up and carry her for awhile. I remember thinking, "Doggone it! I wanted a dog this time that could go on walks with me."

About two months later was when I realized I had a heart condition. Guess what? We both walk at the exact same speed now and need breaks at the exact same time.

Yeah. He even gave me the perfect dog, for pete's sake.